Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unbelieveable
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:48 pm 

Unbelieveable the players that use some sort of cheat or assist pak. This game is going to the dogs, no wonder why people move on to other games like UT and HF and q2 or q3.

No one can tell me these guys don't use something. Unless the rune was changed, a player had the rune that allows you to go up to 666 health and he announces his health is 740.

Same player with 5 other players playing wins 50 to 1. Now I know some players are really really good at this game, but come on 50 to 1 when at least 2 out of the 5 other players are good players too?

Players shooting around corners before they see a target and getting direct hits??? come on! And don't say some players hear things or shoot randomly... not 100, 90 or even 80 percent of the time kills, i'll give the best player maybe 50 percent on unseen kills. This guy was around 90 percent with unseen kills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:04 pm 

mysteri:
"Unless the rune was changed, a player had the rune that allows you to go up to 666 health and he announces his health is 740."

It's unlikely a cheat was used since it would require a server side cheat. Your computer doesn't tell the server how much health you have, the server tells your computer how much you do. An analogy would be changing the balance on your checkbook and expecting to fool the bank when the bank is the one keeping the official records. Besides, if he were cheating, why would he announce it?

"Players shooting around corners before they see a target and getting direct hits???"

If you see something suspicious, submit a demo with the status information. If the demo shows him cheating, he will be banned. Another thing you can do is to simply ride the player to get a better idea of how he plays. Observing from his perspective may show him not to be as accurate as you first believed.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:58 pm 

Well toyo, all I can say is what I see and hear. If he cheats or if he doesn't is a mute point. Nothing willl be done unless with some luck an
admin is in the game like the one I described. Otherwise what's the use, it's like ants at a picnic, you step on one and 20 more come out of the ground.

Post subject: Re: Unbelieveable
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

mysteri wrote:
Unless the rune was changed, a player had the rune that allows you to go up to 666 health and he announces his health is 740.

The rune of Good Health allows you to pick up health boxes and accumulate a total of 666 health points. You can still pick up mega-health boxes, which when picked up back-to-back can push your health an additional 150 health points. This brings your total health to 816 with the Rune of Good Health, and 250 for the standard player health.

If you suspect someone of cheating [on Shmack], the best thing you can do is create a demo of him/her [on Shmack] and submit it to me. I will not only review the demo, but with your permission, I will upload the demo to my FTP server so that others can review it as well.

Post subject: Re: Unbelieveable
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:46 pm 
deadzone.runecentral.com

mysteri wrote:
Same player with 5 other players playing wins 50 to 1. Now I know some players are really really good at this game, but come on 50 to 1 when at least 2 out of the 5 other players are good players too?

You should go into Observer mode and ride a suspected cheat. As Slot and Toyo have suggested, create a demo and send it to Slot for review. If it's determined that someone is using a cheat, I can almost guarantee you, he/she won't be for long.

Incidentally, with the ProQuake client, you can start a demo at any time unlike most Quake clients that require you to disconnect and then reconnect to the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:41 am 

Well, I'm sorry then about the health rune issue then. Maybe it's the other servers that I play at where it only goes to 666 and you can't pick up the big health box for more. I know it's at someplace, because I've got it a few times and could never go beyond 666 health or at least in the past one couldn't. The 50 to 1,0,0,0,-1 game score tho is totally insane.
For the demo issue, I'm not too technically inclined. I never did one and I'm not sure I would know how anyway.

The most technical I ever got was when I was dating my guy and would go over his place, he use to want me to do his laundry. So once I said it's time he learned. So I started him off easy and gave him a batch of his college sweatshirts to wash. He yelled up from the basement asking what setting to put the washing machine on. I answered by tell him it depends on what it says on the shirt.... he yelled back "Buffalo State College". Needless to say I ended going down and sending him upstairs and then I did the laundry. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:01 am 

Ok.. sorry.. I have to..

Mysteri.. Did we get a clue? Or are you still with him? lol Was he trainable? I mean.. If his Mom didn't train him for you by then.. He looks like a lost case once he hit college?

Also.. what Client are you using? They can tell you how to start a demo and stop it once you let them know.. you may have to tell them to put it in Laymen terms though!!! Slot & PK get a lil techie!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:56 pm 

LOL! Here's a little example for you... "Just because you own a pool table does not ever mean you will be good at the game."

Right? RIGHT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:10 pm 

Pita, he's come a long way since we first started dating... in fact I married him last September. Problem I have now is he's been in Iraq since last October. He came home for leave last month but had to go back since then. :(

We1rdq, my hubby has a pool table and it took quite a few games of strip 8-ball before I learned how to play good. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:01 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

mysteri wrote:
... it took quite a few games of strip 8-ball before I learned how to play good. :oops:

Why, that lucky bastard! :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear he had to go back to that hell hole. I'm sure you must miss him a lot. You two are still newlyweds for Cripes sake. Sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Pita wrote:
Was he trainable?

Sounds like he's already well trained!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:22 am 

Well trained as a matter of fact.. AND.. He learned how to fold clothes AND make a bed!! haha. Good for you!! Well bad for you right now.. But later..... ooohlala :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:02 am 

This is getting too crazy now.... this morning I played at the server against 3 other people. One of which goes by the name of UGH.

This tuna was using something that gave him 3 for ever frag he got, while others got 1. If that is a rune, it should be deleted. If not, then he's another cheat pak user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:07 pm 
deadzone.runecentral.com

mysteri wrote:
This is getting too crazy now.... this morning I played at the server against 3 other people....This tuna was using something that gave him 3 for ever frag he got, while others got 1.

It's not a cheat, it's the Pack Rat Rune. For every x runes the runeholder picks up, they score additional frags. Players who have Pack Rat have no additional health, strength, resistance, etc. and are relatively easy to frag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:10 pm 

Oh gees.... I never knew that about the pack rat rune.... sorry... I guess I better keep quiet about things that look funny from now on. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:43 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

mysteri wrote:
I guess I better keep quiet about things that look funny from now on.

Here's a link that describes some of the runes and what they do. It's an old list from 1997 but it'll give you some idea as to what the original runes do.

If your relatively new to Rune Quake, it's hard to know what's the real deal and what's a cheat. 8)

Post subject: Don't Keep Quiet
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:22 pm 

mysteri wrote:
I guess I better keep quiet about things that look funny from now on. :oops:

I was logged in to that game for that 50 to 1 or 2 deal. I suspected a cheat as well. I don't care much for demos and I'm on a mac. For the sake of being called an ass, I will keep the players name anonymous here in the message boards. If any of the admins cares enough to want to know who I am talking about please email me.

There are a few things that I take into consideration before I call someone a cheat. For example; Speed, Aim, Shaft accuracy while in motion and Blast Damage for opponent as well as the suspected player in other words "One Shot Wonders".
The player in question had a ping of 40 and was moving and hooking VERY FAST, with accurate anticipated aiming. Anticipated aiming is shooting at an area where your opponent may be moving into. I could not touch that player. And immediately suspected something was not quite right. I decided to ride for awhile.

In the heat of battle every thing is moving very, very fast and that player would end up winning battles. I would occasionally type a message to that player to "turn it off". It may or may not have been correct but I know for a fact that nobody here is THAT good. Not even you Slot :)

The player in question claims that its all him and begins to tease and gloat and irritate the hell out of me. Definately not cool. Cherrie joined the game and when I asked if the was cheating, she vouched for the player in question.

If it is experience, then great! I'd love to spar again and learn to beat him, maybe ask to take look at his config file. It will make me a better player. However, if the "I am a god and no one can beat me attitude" or the "lets face it you suck" attitude persists, then its would be better for me to continue to stay away from Quake. IMO, Its the reason why there are a few players left in this game. Its also BS and it gives me the notion that the player is in fact cheating.

What I mean by this is simple. Every experienced, honest player I've ever had the pleasure of fraggin' against has never, ever needed to reply to stupid accusations and harrasing remarks. If you get accused. Ignore it. You know your not cheating. Why should you interrupt the game to have an irritating discussion and why should I be an ass to other people.
I don't go out of my way to offend the person who I play against. I treat the other players with respect and I'm helpful when someone asks for help. This is my gaming philosophy. Should'nt it be yours?

So mysteri, voice your opinion and get it out of your system. It will only help Slot and the other Admins improve the quality of their respected servers. I hope this helps you and anyone else to "Clear the air around here."

On another unrelated subject --
Has anyone noticed any lag when floatin spike rune is in use at shmack?

And yet another unrelated subject --
Why am I banned from Widomaker? and DeadZone? The only servers I can connect to is Shmack, Nygma, ihoc. All I did was get hooked on Medal of Honor and UT2k3. See you at SHMACK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

For a brief description of the runes that are on the Shmack server, check out the Rune Quake docs,

http://www.runequake.com/docs/Playing.htm

(Scroll down to Rune Descriptions)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:49 pm 

Slot Zero wrote:
For a brief description of the runes that are on the Shmack server, check out the Rune Quake docs,

http://www.runequake.com/docs/Playing.htm

(Scroll down to Rune Descriptions)

Wow there has been quite a few changes to the runes since i was here last.

Post subject: Re: Don't Keep Quiet
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ronin wrote:
If any of the admins cares enough to want to know who I am talking about please email me.

Guys/gals, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. If you're worried I might get annoyed by your e-mail, please don't be. I am more annoyed when I do not get e-mail. :) If your message gets ignored (more than a week without a reply), feel free to private message me or resend your e-mail.

Ronin wrote:
Has anyone noticed any lag when floatin spike rune is in use at shmack?

The saturation of spikes have been toned down by a factor of 10. It plays just as deadly as before, but should pose no lag problem.

Glad to see you're still around, Ronin!